To create new value, excite and delight our customers through
the best automotive products and services.
With passion, pride and speed, we actively communicate
with our customers to deliver insightful automotive
products and services that exceed their expectations.
We value integrity, customer focus, creativity, and efficient and
nimble action, and respect highly motivated people and
team spirit. We positively support environmental matters,
safety, and society. Guided by these values,
we provide superior rewards to all people associated with Mazda.
- *1In 1999, Mazda evolved its existing management philosophy into its current Corporate Vision. Comprising the three key elements of Vision (corporate objectives), Mission (corporate roles and responsibilities), and Value (the values Mazda seeks to produce), this Corporate Vision defines the goals of the company and its employees, their roles and responsibilities, and the sense of values the Company embraces in pursuit of its targets.
Mazda aims to achieve its Corporate Vision through the actions of each individual, based on the Mazda Way. While striving to meet the requests and expectations of all of Mazda's stakeholders, each employee pursues CSR initiatives in the course of their daily business activities. In this way, Mazda contributes to the development of a sustainable society.
Referencing the Charter of Corporate Behavior issued by the Japan Business Federation (Nippon Keidanren)*2, etc., Mazda evaluates its CSR initiatives in the six areas of Customer Satisfaction, Environmental Protection, Social Contributions, Respect for People, Compliance and Information Disclosure.
- Customer Satisfaction: Offering customers a vehicle ownership experience that exceeds their expectations, through every touch point
- Environmental Protection: Along with being an urgent issue for humanity, this is the highest priority issue for automakers
- Social Contributions: Contributing to local communities as a good corporate citizen
- Respect for People: The foundation of society, including the human resource development that is the foundation of Mazda's corporate activities
- Compliance: Observance of laws and regulations as well as initiatives in line with the Corporate Ethics Code of Conduct
- Information Disclosure: Disclosing information in an appropriate and timely manner
- *2Mazda actively supports the Charter of Corporate Behavior issued by the Japan Business Federation (Nippon Keidanren).
|Respect for People||
Each department carries out its operations based on goals and plans formulated with an understanding of the policies and guidelines determined by the CSR Management Strategy Committee, which the president chairs, and in cooperation with other Group companies.
Deliberate the CSR activities that are expected of Mazda from a global perspective, in consideration of changes in social environment
- The topics discussed by the Committee in FY March 2014 included: establishment of CSR targets for FY March 2015 and follow-up of the progress in CSR efforts, performance evaluation of the mid-term environmental plan (Mazda Green Plan), analysis of the external evaluations of CSR, and raising CSR awareness among employees.
Set operational targets and plans for the medium and long term, and for each fiscal year, and implement these targets and plans
Discuss in advance proposals to be made to the CSR Management Strategy Committee and propose guidelines for specific activities based on policies set by the CSR Management Strategy Committee
2004 CSR Committee established
- Began company-wide CSR initiatives
2007 CSR Promotion Department established as a permanent structure
2008 CSR Committee reorganized as the CSR Management Strategy Committee
- Integrated CSR activities and management
- Reinforced global perspective
2009 CSR & Environment Department established as a permanent structure
- Promotes initiatives both globally and across departments
- Former CSR Promotion Department reorganized as a supervising compliance body and renamed as the Compliance Administration Department
- Compliance supervision functions transferred to the Office of General & Legal Affairs
Mazda comprehensively reaffirmed its CSR initiatives in accordance with the seven core subjects of the ISO26000 social responsibility guidelines, and set up the CSR targets for FY March 2014. In establishing these targets, each division envisioned the ideals that Mazda aims to achieve in the future, and summarized them. The results for FY March 2014 and the targets for FY March 2015 were approved by the CSR Management Strategy Committee. Mazda will continue to implement the PDCA (plan-do-check-act) process, so as to carry out CSR management in line with the global standards.
Based on the GRI Sustainability Reporting Guidelines Version 4 (G4), in FY March 2014 Mazda initiatived investigation to identify key areas of its CSR operations (materiality of CSR issues).
Mazda aims to satisfy to the G4 guidelines in the future by taking into account opinions from management and relevant divisions, while reflecting the opinions of customers and other various stakeholders as well as experts and specialists.
Specifically, the Company will identify the key areas of its CSR operations that are particularly required by society and where Mazda can contribute to society, and will disclose the investigation process leading to the identification.
Mazda identifies key external ratings and evaluations both from within Japan and overseas. By analyzing the results, Mazda evaluates its own initiatives. Mazda continuously makes active efforts to disclose information by responding to both domestic and global surveys and evaluations, such as those by socially responsible investment (SRI) rating organizations.
An SRI index developed by the FTSE Group, a fully-owned subsidiary of the London Stock Exchange.
Forum ETHIBEL is a Belgium-based non-profit organization that promotes socially responsible investing (SRI) and CSR in Europe.
The first SRI index developed in Japan.
On behalf of 722 investors with assets of US$87 trillion, the CDP organization conducts research and discloses information to better understand the risks and opportunities posed by climate change (information as of CDP2013 reporting timing).
Mazda endeavors to deepen awareness and understanding of CSR among all its employees, and to promote the undertaking of CSR initiatives in the course of their daily business activities.
The following CSR training programs were implemented in FY March 2014:
- Lecture-style training (approx. 840 participants) for new recruits, mid-career hires, new band 5 (assistant manager level) employees and newly appointed managers
- Group discussions (approx. 380 participants) for new recruits, new band 5 (assistant manager level) employees and newly appointed managers
When asked for their impressions of the training, which was based on group discussions, many participants replied with positive responses such as:
"I was able to understand how our daily activities are linked to CSR."
"I realized that we should disseminate our Company's good practices in environmental protection and social contribution to people inside and outside the Company."
"I will carry out CSR activities in connection with my main job."
"I felt that we can find a seed of CSR in our daily operations. I will use this seed effectively for brand enfancement."
Mazda will continue implementing training by level.
- Distribution to and circulation within all departments of the Mazda Sustainability Report
- Communication about CSR efforts and up-to-date information via the Company Intranet and the in-house newsletter My Mazda
- Holding quality meetings
Quality meetings provide all employees with regular and continuous opportunities to consider quality and heighten their quality awareness to achieve self-motivated innovations and dramatic quality improvement, thereby enhancing the quality of their actions. The meetings are held four times a year at each workplace, allowing all employees to join and express their opinions.
- Distribution of "Compliance Communications"
- President's Message during Human Rights Week
As in FY March 2013, Employee Engagement Survey was conducted in FY March 2014 to confirm to what extent employees were aware of CSR.*3
To further improve CSR awareness levels, Mazda will continue a range of initiatives.
- *3This question was only included in the survey of Mazda Motor Corporation.
The Mazda Group's basic approach and initiatives, both in Japan and overseas, are to comply with national and regional regulations, including labor laws such as the prohibition of child labor and forced labor. The Group is engaged in a wide range of initiatives to this end, from practicing compliance to contributing to society, while respecting diverse national and regional cultures, international norms such as the Charter of Corporate Behavior issued by the Japan Business Federation (Nippon Keidanren), and social perspectives.
Mazda published CSR-related articles in the January, February, and March issues of Gijutsu Tsushin (technical notification), a monthly journal for service staff at domestic dealers, to disseminate Mazda's basic CSR approach and initiatives.
The Company has also promoted CSR initiatives throughout the entire supply chain by requesting suppliers to comply with the Mazda Supplier CSR Guidelines and by conducting surveys regarding the status of CSR initiatives of each supplier.
- Distribution and circulation of the Mazda Sustainability Report
- Announcement of relevant guidelines to all Group companies and suppliers
- Implementation of a survey regarding the status of CSR initiatives of each supplier
CSR & Environment Department
I am in charge of planning and promoting CSR related events, such as environmental protection and social contribution. In December 2013, I joined Eco-Products 2013, one of the largest environmental exhibitions in Japan, to explain Mazda's initiatives at Mazda booth. Through this experience, I learned the importance of accurate communication of Mazda's vision and specific activities to visitors in general and acquiring their empathy for Mazda.
I will continue working together with relevant divisions within the Company to executing events that will lead to enhancing Mazda's corporate and brand value.