Mazda Motor Corporation today launches a new sporty model of Familia
"Sport 20" to enhance Familia line-up while substantially improving
product attributes of all the Familia models. The new "Familia" line-up
including "Sport 20" goes on sale immediately through Mazda and Mazda
Anfini dealers throughout Japan.
Mazda brand personality is explained as "Stylish", "Insightful" and
"Spirited". To expresses this brand personality with its entire body,
the Familia which will hit the market today has been developed in line
with product philosophy characterized by three attributes: "Distinctive
Design," "Exceptional Functionality" and "Responsive Handling and Performance."
The Familia has further strengthened Mazda brand personality through
the launch of "Sport 20" as top end model to enhance spirited image
while improving features and quality of all the Familia models
The product is summarized as below.
- 1. Enhancing the model line-up through the addition of "Sport 20,"
the sporty grade 2000 DOHC engine-installed S-Wagon, and addition
of another grade.
- 2. Adopting a newly developed "Activematic" transmission (automatic
transmission with manual mode) that offers feel like motoring with
manual transmission (available for S-Wagon Sport 20 FF model)
- 3. Face lift of the exterior and interior and improving product
quality, safety and comfort features
Through this product enhancement, Mazda established sporty grade "Sport
20" for FF and 4WD models and furthermore, the new casual basic model
"S-f" has been established for FF model. The S-Wagon line-up is enriched
to 7 models includes the current four S-Wagon models. All the current
seven grades of Sedan continue to be marketed. The combined monthly
sales target for both S-Wagon and sedan is 4,000 units.
Since the first generation debuted in October 1963, the Familia has
come to be embraced by customers in no less than 120 countries worldwide.
It has grown in both name presence as Mazda's pillar model and to prove
this point, in December 1995, it surpassed the 10 million mark in total
domestic production. In June of 1998, Mazda came out the ninth generation
new Familia. Customers all over the world welcomes Mazda's proposal
of the new Familia packaging together with distinctive styling and high
basic performance that supports the customer's active life style.
Product details of the new Familia are as follows:
- Enhancing the model line-up of S-Wagon
The sporty grade "Sport 20" and "S-f" have been added to the S-Wagon
- Familia "Sport 20"
The S-Wagon line-up whose feature is compact body coupled with
high-efficiency packaging welcomes the additional establishment
of the 2L DOHC engine-installed sporty model "Sport 20" as the
top end of the Familia series. The new "Sport 20" is available
for FF and 4WD models. Product details of "Sport 20" are as follows.
- Distinctive Design - exciting styling
Based on the exterior designing concept "Aggressive & Sporty",
it is designed aiming to realize the energetic and distinctive
exterior suitable for the top end grade of the new Familia
- Exclusive features: large-size front bumper, 4 headlamps,
side spoiler, large-radius fog lamp, sporty grill, rear
under spoiler, 16 inch alloy wheel.
- Five exterior colors with sporty feel: black, red, silver,
white and yellow
(Yellow-color are available only for 300 units at the
time of launch)
Based on the interior designing concept "Exciting & Sporty",
the following exclusive fittings have been adopted to project
a sporty feel combined with a high product quality ambiance.
- White meter panel for sporty feel and Nardi genuine
leather steering wheel and shift knob, titanium coloring
and chrome coated, sporty fabric seats and door trimming.
Furthermore, the frequently used areas have been dimpled
to be easy to operate.
- Titanium color is used for the center of the instrument
panel, grip area of the steering wheel, power window switch
board, inner door handle and Activematic shift gate panel,
and partially used for seat fabric.
- Chrome coating is used for the Mazda brand mark at the
center of the steering wheel and the 4- speed AT shift
knob button, MT shift knob shift position indicator, parking
- Dimple have all been used on the surface of the parking
brake lever, the steering wheel, Activematic AT shift
knob, MT shift knob, titanium-colored area of the seat
- Responsive Handling and Performance Pexcellent running
- -It has adopted the FS-ZE 2L DOHC engine which is used
for the sporty version of Capella and the engine has been
specially tuned for Sport 20. Its highly linear run is
owed to the specially tuned intake resonance chamber exclusive
to Sport 20, well tuned low speed final gear ratio (4.147)
and torque converter, dual exhaust, low discharge-pressure
main exhaust silencer. These mechanism realize exciting
and excellent running performance.
||Maximum output (net)
||Maximum torque (net)
|2.0 L DOHC
- The FF model (front wheel drive) has adopted the newly
developed [Activematic transmission] (automatic transmission
with manual mode) that allows comfort and joys of driving
to coexist at a higher dimension.
- Based on high rigidity safe body "MAGMA", reinforcements
have been made to the body and suspension to strengthen
body rigidity. Also large radius flat 195/50 R16 tires
and the best tuned suspension allow joys of handling and
comfort to coexist at a higher dimension.
- Exceptional Functionality - high level functionality/safety
More higher safety features are pursued in accordance with
the elevated dynamic performance made possible by adopting
- ABS brake system with EBD (Electronic Brake-force Distribution
system) automatically modifies front and rear wheel braking
force to realize stable braking.
- Traction Control System (TCS) is available for FF model.
TCS substantially elevates the safety at the time of cornering
and driving on slippery surface. The computer system controls
the engine output automatically so as to prevent driving
wheel losing control in accordance with the road surface
- Water repellent door mirror for FF model and heated
door mirror for 4WD model improve visibility during rain
- To further enhance the high efficiency packaging, the
functionality of the luggage compartment is improved for
FF-model and adopted sub trunk box. with double folding
trunk board to make it easier the placement and removal
of small items.
- Establishment of the value for money "S - f" grade for the
S-Wagon "S - f" grade comes fitted with an antibacterial interior
mostly desired by female customers such as steering wheel, shift
knob and parking brake lever and also water repellent front glass
& outer mirror as standard equipment. In spite of these fittings,
the price has remains reasonable.
- Newly developed Activematic (automatic transmission with manual
mode) for FF 2L model
The new "Familia Sport 20" FF has adopted the newly developed Activematic
transmission (automatic transmission with manual mode) that allows
the comfort and joys of driving to coexist at a higher dimension.
- Activematic AT make it possible to shift only by operating select
lever without pushing button. The shift response speed of manual
mode has improved to be on a par with that of the class top models.
It realize operation feel and swift shift similar to that of manual
transmission. Thus it is made possible to enjoy sporty motoring
through pleasant sporty shift.
- In addition to conventional shift indicator in the instrumental
panel, establishing the digital meter panel which indicates the
manual mode shift position
- Titanium color of the shift panel and genuine leather shift
knob with sporty ambiance.
- Renewal of the exterior, interior, improved product quality,
and enhancement of safety and comfort features
- Improved product quality owed to renewed interior
and exterior design
Following fittings are made to the improved product quality and
- Chrome coated front grill for all sedan models
- New designed instrumental meter
- Additional setting of dark tinted glasses for rear door
and rear tailgate
(standard feature for sedan RX, optional equipment for LS)
- Additional setting of 185/65R14 tires (standard equipment
for S-Wagon R & S grades, Sedan RX & GS grades, optional equipment
for Sedan LS grade)
- Additional setting of 195/55R15 tire + 15 inch alloy wheel
+ Nardi genuine leather steering wheel
- Chrome coated interior parts for all grades
inner door handle, AT shift knob button, MT shift knob shift
position indicator, parking brake button and Mazda brand symbol
on the steering center
- The AT shift lever, parking brake lever are color keyed
with the interior.
- Steering wheel grip area and MT shift knob shift position
indicator vicinity have been dimpled for slip-prevention.
- Fitting of new double Russell seat textile & trimming (S-Wagon:
- Less option of roof rail (S-Wagon: S-F)
- Additional setting of sporty seats (standard feature for
S-Wagon S, R, S-4, R-4 grades, standard feature on Sedan RX,
optional equipment on LS grades)
- Body color revision
- The Innocent Blue mica and Pure White, Gracial Silver metallic,
Sun Burst Yellow are established for S-Wagon.
- Supreme Blue mica and Passion Red mica are established for
- Features enhance safety, comfort and functionality
- Safety feature
- Newly adopted ABS brake with EBD (Electronic Braking-force
Distribution system) for all grades to realize a stable
braking power by modifying the braking force of the front
and rear wheels
- For improved visibility during rain, these are established.
water repellent front glass is available for S-Wagon S-f
grade, water-repellent door mirror is available for FF
models with electronically operated retractable door mirror
heated door mirror is available for 4WD car with electronically
operated retractable door mirror-fitted car.
- Expanded adoption of rear head rest for all models except
for Sedan of LS, JS grades
- Comfort and handy features
- Standard equipment of double-folding new trunk board
to ease the placement and removal of small items into/from
the sub trunk box for all S-Wagon FF models
- Additional setting of antibacterial material is used
for steering wheel, shift knob, parking knob, parking
brake lever for S-Wagon S-f
- Additional setting of 6:4 partition foldable rear seats
for Sedan JS, LS, GS, and RX
- Additional setting of driver's seats illuminated power
window switch for all Sedan except for ES
- Standard equipment of illuminated front ashtray for
- Additional setting of keyless entry system
standard feature for S-Wagon Sport 20, R, R-4 and Sedan
RX, GS optional equipment for S-Wagon S, S-f, S-4 and
- Additional setting of driver's seat front tilt & hip
point lifter for all S-Wagon and Sedan JS, LS, GS, RX
- Additional setting of space up seat for driver's seat
optional equipment for all S-Wagon except for S-f
standard equipment for Sedan RX, optional equipment for
- Additional setting of center console box with lid
standard equipment for S-Wagon "Sport 20, "
Sedan GS, LS
- Additional setting of the audio system & speaker
standard equipment of 6 speakers for S-Wagon "Sport 20,
" R, R-4, Sedan RX
standard equipment of 4 speakers for S-Wagon S, S-f, S-4
standard equipment of AM/FM tuner with cassette deck +
2 speaker for Sedan LS
standard equipment of AM/FM tuner with logic control cassette
deck + 4 speaker for Sedan GS
|The suggested retail prices of the vehicles without options
are as follows.
|(consumption tax not included)
||Air conditioning and passenger
seat air bag including FM/AM receiver and 2 speakers are available
for the Sedan ES grade model which comes without air conditioning
and passenger seat air bag at the cost of 219,000
|| All Familia series are cold
|| The price for the optional head
protection function SRS side air bag is 30,000 yen (except
for except for the Sedan of ES, JS, RX, LS DE).
||The Star (*) indicate version
shown in the photo.