A pretensioner is designed to retract some of the webbing of a seatbelt the instant a collision occurs, tightening the seatbelt to restrain occupants quickly and reducing the amount they are thrown forward in a moderate or severe frontal crash.
Load limiters help protect occupants from seatbelt-inflicted injury. In the event of a crash, the pretensioner restrains the occupant until certain amount of force is applied. At this point the load limiter releases the webbing gradually so as not to exert too much force on the chest of the occupant.
* Always wear your seat belt and secure children in the rear seats in appropriate child restraints.
Other Examples of How Mazda Offers the Passive Safety Technology
- Occupant Protection during a collision
- SKYACTIV-BODY World-class collision safety performance
- SRS Airbag System
- Seat belt with pretensioner and Load limiter
- Front Seat that mitigates shock to the neck
- Rear Seat that prevents luggage from entering the cabin
- Structure that prevents rear seat passenger from sliding forward in a collision
- Impact-absorbing soft interior
- Anti-intrusion Brake Pedal
- Impact-absorbing Steering System
- Isofix-compliant Child Seat Anchor
- Rear seat occupant protection
- Injury reduction for pedestrians